Your Guide to Healthy, Glowing Skin
Skin lit from within. The idea sounds so elusive. A skin so healthy it radiates with a luminous glow from somewhere below the surface.
A complexion that reflects an internal balance achieved with thoughtful nutrition, adequate hydration, and a healthy lifestyle all contribute to the skin's ability to repair, rejuvenate, and maintain its optimal radiance and vitality.
By prioritising internal factors that keep the skin functioning optimally, we're helping the skin cope with the constant exposure to external factors, like the sun and other pollutants, that dull the skin's natural healthy glow.
In this article, we'll examine how to create a healthy balance within the skin by nourishing the body with essential nutrients, antioxidants, and healthy proteins to promote skin health at a cellular level.
Understanding your skin.
The skin is your body's largest living organ. It provides a protective barrier between you and the outside world, regulating variations in body temperature and is a sensory organ that detects heat, cold, touch and pain.
It also plays an essential role in your immunity and prevents the loss of valuable moisture.
Your skin plays a significant role in your self-perception, confidence, and vulnerability, with its social and sensual implications.
It indeed indicates what lies beneath and is a mirror of your inner health.
Given all this, it makes perfect sense to nourish your skin with the necessary nutrients to perform all the functions required to keep you glowing from the inside out.
Of course, skin health is intricately influenced by genetics, lifestyle choices, and environmental exposure and while genetics may be predetermined at birth and beyond our control, we can still take proactive steps to enhance our skin health.
A nutrient-dense and varied diet rich in essential vitamins, trace minerals, antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and adequate protein will ensure your skin is nourished from within, promoting overall skin health and radiance.
Moreover, adopting an active skincare routine customised to suit your skin's needs will further support skin nutrition and enhance its resilience against external stressors.
You can improve your skin's health and achieve a vibrant, glowing complexion with a nutritious diet and targeted skincare.
Key nutrients for glowing skin.
Knowing that you can influence your skin with good nutrition is a great feeling; along with a well-thought-out Aesthetics Rx skincare routine, you're taking positive steps towards a skin bursting with vitality.
The effects of nutrition on skin health are far-reaching and can significantly impact its appearance and resilience. By nourishing your skin from within, you pave the way for a radiant, youthful complexion that reflects your overall well-being.
A balanced diet, healthy lifestyle choices, and an effective skincare routine empower you to achieve lasting skin health.
Proper nutrition provides essential building blocks for collagen synthesis, supports the skin's natural barrier, and reduces inflammation. Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants work synergistically to promote skin repair, protect against environmental stressors, and maintain hydration.
Let's look at the various nutritional factors and how they affect the health of your skin and the foods where you'll find them.
Environmental factors like UV exposure and pollutants leave your skin vulnerable to oxidative stress like an apple turning brown when exposed to air.
Proper nutrition provides essential antioxidants that help prevent cellular damage.
You can neutralise cellular damage by including antioxidant-rich foods, promoting skin health and radiance.
- Vitamin C: Abundant in colourful fruits and vegetables, vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that helps neutralise free radicals, protecting the skin from oxidative stress and supporting collagen synthesis, which is crucial for maintaining the skin's firmness and elasticity.
- Vitamin E: Found in nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils, vitamin E acts as a protective shield, fortifying your skin against environmental stressors, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, and improving skin elasticity.
- Beta-carotene: Richly present in vibrant orange and green fruits and vegetables, such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and leafy greens, beta-carotene is a precursor to vitamin A. It supports skin cell turnover for optimal skin function.
With proper nutrition, your body neutralises the free radicals that oxidise the skin. With additional topical support from the antioxidants in the Aesthetic Rx Vitamin A Serum 1% Retinol, DNA Repair Serum and Vitamin C Serum, you'll have a powerful defence against pollution and free radical damage.
Omega-3 Fatty Acid
Omega-3 fatty acids are crucial in forming your skin's protective lipid barrier, shielding you from environmental damage, maintaining moisture balance, and preventing dehydration.
As your body cannot produce these essential fats, obtaining them from your food is crucial. Including foods rich in Omega-3s like salmon, chia seeds, and flaxseed will contribute to healthy, hydrated skin.
In addition to maintaining a diet abundant in essential fatty acids, incorporating Aesthetics Rx Pre-Juvenation DNA Oil can further support your skin's health. This innovative facial oil contains INCA Omega Oil extracted from Sacha Inchi (Plukenetia Volubilis) seeds, providing a powerful defence against environmental stressors while maintaining the skin's optimal moisture balance and safeguarding its protective barrier.
Zinc and Selenium
Two essential trace minerals support skin healing and safeguard the skin from damage while preserving skin health and resilience.
- Zinc: Supports skin healing and reduces inflammation. It is involved in collagen production and assists in managing acne and other skin conditions found in pumpkin seeds, lentils and whole grains.
- Selenium: An antioxidant mineral that works alongside other antioxidants to protect the skin from UV-induced damage while promoting a healthy immune system. Abundant in Brazil nuts, tuna, eggs and sunflower seeds.
B Complex Vitamins
The B complex vitamins contribute significantly to skin health. However, while you'll need a balance of all the B vitamins, when it comes to skin health, two B vitamins are worthy of your attention.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin/Niacinamide): A true skin hero that strengthens the skin's protective barrier, reduces inflammation, and supports collagen synthesis, making it one of your skin's most valuable allies. Incorporate foods rich in Vitamin B3, such as poultry, fish, peanuts, mushrooms, and avocados, into your diet to enhance your skin's health and radiance.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid): Vitamin B5 supports the natural protective barrier function for maintaining healthy skin. It helps retain moisture, aids in wound healing has anti-inflammatory properties to calm irritated skin, and assists in minimising fine lines and wrinkles. Foods rich in vitamin B5 include whole grains, avocados, meat, and legumes.
A topical application Aesthetics Rx Vitamin B Serum stimulates collagen synthesis while delivering additional support to keep the skin resilient and protected from environmental stress.
Protein: An indispensable building block for skin tissue, protein provides the structural components of collagen and elastin that ensure skin strength, resilience, and flexibility. Include protein-rich foods like lean meats, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes and nuts to support your skin's structure and maintain a healthy and youthful complexion.
By adding Aesthetic Rx Vitamin A Serum 1% Retinol, or our Total DNA Repair Serum to your skincare routine, you can support your skin's natural processes and promote the production of new collagen and elastin to minimise the onset of lines and wrinkles.
Skincare for Glowing Skin
Putting it all together with an Aesthetic Rx Skincare routine.
At Aesthetics Rx, we want you to achieve long-lasting results, and it's important to remember that your individual nutritional needs play a crucial role in promoting skin health. By incorporating essential nutrients into your diet, protecting your skin from the sun with a broad spectrum sunscreen such as our Ultra-Protection Sunscreen and healthy lifestyle choices combined with the nutritional support of an Aesthetic Rx skincare routine to counteract environmental stress will nourish your skin inside and out, revealing your skin's natural radiance and vitality.